Welcome to FindMyBest CPA
Accounting & Financial Directory
Find local and nationwide accounting and financial businesses. We have located the best Accountants, CPAs, Accounting Firms, Tax Consultants, Tax Return Preparers, Bookkeepers and Financial Advisors in the US.
Business Directory
Tax & Accounting Articles - IRS Tax Forms
CPA's Find New Clients Today
FindMyBestCPA Search
User Details
Reviews and Comments
Search top city
Atlanta Accountants
Boston Accountants
Chicago Accountants
Dallas Accountants
Detroit Accountants
Huston Accountants
Los Angeles Accountants
Miami Accountants
New York Accountants
Philadelphia Accountants
San Francisco Accountants
Washington Accountants
List of General Articles
Fortune 500 Company List
Governing Bodies and Regulations
Business Entity Types
Income Taxes
Public Accounting
Financial Statements
Other Taxes
Accounting Tools
Accounting and Terminology
Cost Accounting
IRS Tax Forms
Tax & Accounting Sub Category Articles
CPA's Find New Clients For Your Firm
Accounting Information > IRS Tax Forms > Schedule B Interest

Schedule B - Interest and Ordinary Dividends

            Interest and ordinary dividends must be included in your taxable income when completing your income tax return.  If the total amount of your interest and dividends is $1,500 or less, you would simply report the total on line 8a of your Form 1040.  However, if you have more than $,1500 of taxable interest and/or ordinary dividend income for the year, you are required to file Schedule B with your return.

           Other circumstances that would require you to complete and file Schedule B are if any of the Special Rules listed in the instructions for Line 1 of Schedule B apply to you, you plan to claim the exclusion of interest from Series I or EE U.S. savings bonds issued after 1989, you received ordinary dividends acting as a nominee, or you had a foreign account or received a distribution from or were a grantor of a foreign trust.  If you had any dealings with foreign trusts, you would complete the questions in Part III of Schedule B.  The total is carried over to the Form 1040.


          Part I of Schedule B is for interest.  The interest income usually has been reported to you on Forms 1099-INT, 1099-OID, or substitute statements.  Interest from Series EE or I bonds would be included.  Each payer’s name must be listed, along with the amount of interest.  Line 3 in Part I is for excludable interest on Series EE and I U.S. savings bonds issued after 1989.  Part or all of the interest from these bonds may be excluded if they were cashed in for the purpose of paying for qualified higher education expenses for the taxpayer, spouse, or dependents.  The total for ordinary dividends is then brought over to the Form 1040.

      Part II of Schedule B is used for dividends.  Line 5 is used to report ordinary dividends.  These are normally reported to you on Form 1099-DIV in box A, or on a substitute statement.  As with the interest section, the name of each payer needs to be listed, and each amount shown.  Any ordinary dividends on stock held as a nominee for another person needs to be recorded on Schedule B, but then the nominee dividends are subtracted off of Schedule B.  Dividends are normally reported on the tax return for the year the dividend is received.  However, a dividend declared and made payable in the last three months of the year by a mutual fund or REIT is taxable for the year it is declared, even if it is not actually paid until the next year.

            Part III of Schedule B is for foreign accounts and trusts.  This section has a few questions for the taxpayer to answer to determine if any other schedules or forms are required to be filed in relation to interest and dividends.

                       If you are looking for a CPA or Accounting Firm to assist you with your income tax reporting, bookkeeping, financial planning, or general accounting needs, then you have come to the right place!  Try out the CPA Search feature on this website to find a qualified professional in your area.


© Copyrights 2007, All Rights Reserved.
Home     AboutUs     CPA Directory     List Your Firm     Links     Privacy     Contact Us