Welcome to FindMyBest CPA
Accounting & Financial Directory
Find local and nationwide accounting and financial businesses. We have located the best Accountants, CPAs, Accounting Firms, Tax Consultants, Tax Return Preparers, Bookkeepers and Financial Advisors in the US.
Business Directory
Tax & Accounting Articles - IRS Tax Forms
CPA's Find New Clients Today
FindMyBestCPA Search
User Details
Reviews and Comments
Search top city
Atlanta Accountants
Boston Accountants
Chicago Accountants
Dallas Accountants
Detroit Accountants
Huston Accountants
Los Angeles Accountants
Miami Accountants
New York Accountants
Philadelphia Accountants
San Francisco Accountants
Washington Accountants
List of General Articles
Fortune 500 Company List
Financial Statements
Cost Accounting
Other Taxes
IRS Tax Forms
Accounting Tools
Business Entity Types
Accounting and Terminology
CPA Guide
Public Accounting
Income Taxes
Tax & Accounting Sub Category Articles
CPA's Find New Clients For Your Firm
Accounting Information > IRS Tax Forms > Schedule D Capital Gains

Schedule D - Capital Gains and Losses

        If a taxpayer has any capital gains or losses for the year, they probably need to complete Schedule D - Capital Gains and Losses.  Schedule D would then be submitted with their income tax return, on Form 1040 or Form 1040NR. 

      On Schedule D, capital gains and losses are separated into short-term and long-term gains and losses.  The distinction between short and long term is that if an asset is held for more than one year, it is considered a long-term gain or loss when that asset is sold or retired.


           Part One of Schedule D lists all short-term capital gains or losses for the year.  The details that must be provided are a description of the property, the date the property was acquired, the date the property was sold, the sales price, and the cost or other basis of the property.  The cost or basis is subtracted from the sales price to arrive at the amount of gain or loss for each property, and the short-term gains and losses are then netted together.

        Part Two of Schedule D compiles all long-term capital gains and losses for the tax year.  The same details are required as for the short-term gains and losses.  The gain or loss for each long-term property is computed, and the totals for long-term gains and losses is reported.

       In Part Three of the schedule, the short-term and long-term amounts are added together.  The amounts are carried over to the individual’s income tax return.

       The benefit of being able to classify a gain as long-term is that long-term capital gains are normally taxed at rates lower than those used for ordinary income.  The highest tax rate for long-term capital gains is 15% for taxpayers in a tax bracket greater than 15%, and usually 5% for taxpayers in a tax bracket of 15% or less.

       After reporting your sales of capital property on Schedule D, you then complete the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet included in the instructions for Form 1040.  This is where your tax liability is calculated taking into consideration the favorable capital gains tax rates.  If the taxpayer has either un-recaptured Section 1250 gain or 28% gain, he or she would complete the Schedule D Tax Worksheet in the instructions for Schedule D to determine his or her tax liability.

            It may not be mandatory to file Schedule D if the only capital gains for the year are from a REIT or a mutual fund.  Another important reminder is that a limit of $3,000 per year exists for the deduction of capital losses in excess of capital gains.  The limit is $1,500 for a taxpayer with a filing status of married filing separately.

            Do you need help with figuring out your income taxes, including which schedules you might need to file and which expenses are allowed as deductions?  Then you are in the right place.  Try out the CPA search feature on this website to find a qualified professional in your area to assist you with all your tax and accounting needs.

© Copyrights 2007, All Rights Reserved.
Home     AboutUs     CPA Directory     List Your Firm     Links     Privacy     Contact Us