Welcome to FindMyBest CPA
Accounting & Financial Directory
Find local and nationwide accounting and financial businesses. We have located the best Accountants, CPAs, Accounting Firms, Tax Consultants, Tax Return Preparers, Bookkeepers and Financial Advisors in the US.
Business Directory
Tax & Accounting Articles - IRS Tax Forms
CPA's Find New Clients Today
FindMyBestCPA Search
User Details
Reviews and Comments
Search top city
Atlanta Accountants
Boston Accountants
Chicago Accountants
Dallas Accountants
Detroit Accountants
Huston Accountants
Los Angeles Accountants
Miami Accountants
New York Accountants
Philadelphia Accountants
San Francisco Accountants
Washington Accountants
List of General Articles
Fortune 500 Company List
Cost Accounting
IRS Tax Forms
Public Accounting
Accounting Tools
Other Taxes
Income Taxes
Business Entity Types
Other Types of Accounting
Accounting and Terminology
Governing Bodies and Regulations
Tax & Accounting Sub Category Articles
CPA's Find New Clients For Your Firm
Accounting Information > IRS Tax Forms > Schedule K 1 Share of Income/Loss from a Partnership, etc.

Schedule K-1

          Partnerships, S corporations, trusts, and estates do not usually pay income taxes.  Normally, these entities are required to file information returns, and the income or loss is passed through to the partners, shareholders, or beneficiaries to be reported on their individual tax returns.  An important by-product of these information returns is Schedule K-1.  Schedule K-1 clearly states all the information the partner, shareholder, or beneficiary needs to report their share of the income or loss of the entity.

         The entity files all of the related Schedules K-1 with the Internal Revenue Service, and gives a copy of the K-1 to the related individual.  The individual does not attach the Schedule K-1 to their income tax return.  They keep it for their records.  The Internal Revenue Service matches up the reported Schedules K-1 with all the individual income tax returns to determine that all income gets reported and taxed.


      The information return filed by a partnership is called Form 1065.  This return reports to the Internal Revenue Service the partnership profit or loss, as well as each partner’s share on the K-1.  The partnership must give each partner a copy of their Schedule K-1, listing their portion of income, loss, deduction and credit items, and indicating where to show them on the partner’s income tax return.  General partners are liable for self-employment tax on their share of net partnership income.

         An S Corporation files an information return called the Form 1120-S, showing the profit or loss of the S corporation, and Schedules K-1 for each shareholder, showing their share of income or loss, deductions and credits.  There are several items that get allocated to and passed through to the shareholders based on the amount of stock held in the corporation.  These items include gains and losses from the sale and exchange of capital assets and Section 1231 property, tax-exempt interest, Section 179 deduction, charitable contributions made by the corporation, tax preference items, foreign income or loss, foreign taxes paid by the corporation, and recovery of bad debts and prior taxes.

       Trusts and estates file Form 1041.  A Schedule K-1 is given to each beneficiary showing their share of trust or estate income or loss.  Trust or estate income is treated on your individual income tax return as if the income was received directly from the source rather than from the estate or trust.  Your share of trust or estate income would be reported on your Schedule B for interest and dividends, and on Schedule D for any capital gains.  Schedule E would be used to report your share of income or loss from real estate or business activities as reported on your Schedule K-1 received from the trustee.  This income or loss would be subject to passive activity restrictions as usual.

           If you are looking for a CPA or Accounting Firm to assist you with your income tax reporting, bookkeeping, financial planning, or general accounting needs, then you have come to the right place!  Try out the CPA Search feature on this website to find a qualified professional in your area.


© Copyrights 2007, All Rights Reserved.
Home     AboutUs     CPA Directory     List Your Firm     Links     Privacy     Contact Us