Welcome to FindMyBest CPA
Accounting & Financial Directory
Find local and nationwide accounting and financial businesses. We have located the best Accountants, CPAs, Accounting Firms, Tax Consultants, Tax Return Preparers, Bookkeepers and Financial Advisors in the US.
Business Directory
Tax & Accounting Articles - Income Taxes
CPA's Find New Clients Today
FindMyBestCPA Search
User Details
Reviews and Comments
Search top city
Atlanta Accountants
Boston Accountants
Chicago Accountants
Dallas Accountants
Detroit Accountants
Huston Accountants
Los Angeles Accountants
Miami Accountants
New York Accountants
Philadelphia Accountants
San Francisco Accountants
Washington Accountants
List of General Articles
Fortune 500 Company List
IRS Tax Forms
Accounting and Terminology
Accounting Tools
Business Entity Types
CPA Guide
Cost Accounting
Other Types of Accounting
Financial Statements
Governing Bodies and Regulations
Public Accounting
Tax & Accounting Sub Category Articles
CPA's Find New Clients For Your Firm
Accounting Information > Income Taxes > What is Your filing status

What Is Your Filing Status?

             One of the first things you need to determine when completing your income tax return is what filing status you should be using.  There are five filing statuses: single, married filing jointly, married filing separately, head of household, and qualifying widow or widower.  Your filing status determines the standard deduction you would take on your return.

             The filing status of single is for an unmarried person who would not qualify as head of household or qualifying widow or widower.


             Married filing jointly is generally a favorable filing status.  If you are married at the end of the year, you are entitled to file a joint return with your spouse.  Certain tax benefits are only available to married people if they file jointly.  For example, the $25,000 rental loss allowance, the credit for the elderly or disabled, IRA deduction for a non-working spouse, certain education credits, the earned income credit, and the dependent care credit, can only be taken advantage of if you file jointly with your spouse, except in some cases when you and your spouse did not live together for the last half of the year.

             Married filing separately usually results in higher taxes for a married couple, but in certain cases it can be more favorable to file separately.  One caveat to choosing to file separately is the fact that both spouses must either claim the standard deduction, or itemize deductions.  If a couple files separate returns, and later changes their minds and wants to file a joint return, they can do so within three years from the due date of the return. 

             A taxpayer can qualify as head of household, and a larger standard deduction and more favorable rates than for single taxpayers, if the taxpayer is not married at the end of the year and they maintained a home for their child, parent, or other relative.  If the qualifying person is your parent, they do not need to live with you, but any other qualifying person must have lived with you for more than half of the year.  The taxpayer must be a United States citizen or resident for the whole year.  If the taxpayer is married but did not live with their spouse for the last six months of the year, they can qualify as head of household if all the other requirements are met. 

             In the year of a spouse’s death, you are considered married for the whole year, and can file a joint return.  For the next two years, you may be eligible to file as a qualifying widow or widower.  The rates for qualifying widow or widower are the same as those for married filing jointly.  There are three criteria that must be met in order to qualify.  You must not have remarried yet.  You must be entitled to claim a child, stepchild, or adopted child who lived with you all year, while you took care of more than half of the cost of maintaining your home.  The final requirement is that you must have been able to file a joint return in the year of your spouse’s death, regardless of whether or not you did.

             If you are looking for a CPA or Accounting Firm to assist you with your income tax reporting, bookkeeping, financial planning, or general accounting needs, then you have come to the right place!  Use the CPA Search feature on this website to find a qualified professional in your area to meet your needs.



© Copyrights 2007, All Rights Reserved.
Home     AboutUs     CPA Directory     List Your Firm     Links     Privacy     Contact Us