Welcome to FindMyBest CPA
Accounting & Financial Directory
Find local and nationwide accounting and financial businesses. We have located the best Accountants, CPAs, Accounting Firms, Tax Consultants, Tax Return Preparers, Bookkeepers and Financial Advisors in the US.
Business Directory
IRS Tax Forms article
CPA's Find New Clients Today
FindMyBestCPA Search
User Details
Reviews and Comments
Search top city
Atlanta Accountants
Boston Accountants
Chicago Accountants
Dallas Accountants
Detroit Accountants
Huston Accountants
Los Angeles Accountants
Miami Accountants
New York Accountants
Philadelphia Accountants
San Francisco Accountants
Washington Accountants
List of General Articles
Fortune 500 Company List
Business Entity Types
Income Taxes
Accounting and Terminology
Other Types of Accounting
Financial Statements
Public Accounting
CPA Guide
IRS Tax Forms
Cost Accounting
Governing Bodies and Regulations
IRS Tax & Accounting Articles
CPA's Find New Clients For Your Firm
IRS Tax Forms > Schedule E Supplemental Income/Loss

Schedule E - Supplemental Income and Loss

           If a taxpayer has income or loss from partnerships, S corporations, rental real estate, royalties, estates, or trusts, he or she would need to file Schedule E with their income tax return.  Schedule E reports the supplemental income or loss from those activities.

         The reporting of partnership or S corporation income or loss is very straightforward.  The taxpayer will receive a Schedule K-1 from the partnership or S corporation, which details their share of income or loss from the business, as well as any other pass through items to be reported on their individual income tax return.


          The reporting of rental real estate income or loss can be a little more complicated, but is still fairly clear.  Rental income can be reported using either the cash or accrual basis.  The cash basis simply means that income is reported in the period in which you actually or constructively receive payment.  The accrual basis means that income is reported in the period in which you have earned the income, even if you have not yet received payment.

      The first step in completing Schedule E for rental real estate is to enter the location and description of the rental property.  Next, you report the gross amount of rental income for each property.  Then you list all of the deductions or expenses related to each property.  From here you arrive at a net income or loss for each property.

        Some of the most common deductions or expenses for rental real estate are real estate taxes, depreciation, management expenses, maintenance, mortgage interest, and insurance premiums.  Depreciation is calculated on both the building and also any major appliances or furniture included in the rental of the property. 

        Any other expenses necessary for the upkeep and repair of the rental property would also be deductible.  Some other expenses might include salaries and wages to janitors and maintenance employees, travel expenses to maintain the property, legal expenses, and costs related to cancelling a lease.

          An important point to understand is the difference between a repair and a capital improvement.  A repair would be expensed, and a capital improvement would be depreciated.  The definition of a repair indicates that it merely keeps the property in adequate condition.  However, an improvement either extends the life of the property, modifies the property for a new use, or adds to the value of the property.

          Special rules apply if the taxpayer uses the rental property for personal use at any time during the year.  Depending on the amount of time used for personal purposes, varying amounts of deductible expenses will be allowed.

            Royalty income is also reported on Schedule E.  Payments received for the use of copyrights and patents or for the use of mineral properties need to be reported, along with any related expenses.

            If you need help with figuring out your income taxes, including which schedules you might need to file and which expenses are allowed as deductions, you are in the right place.  Try out the CPA search feature on this website to find a qualified professional in your area to assist you with all your tax and accounting needs.

© Copyrights 2007, All Rights Reserved.
Home     AboutUs     CPA Directory     List Your Firm     Links     Privacy     Contact Us